Dilute that Hand Soap! Your itchy rash hands will thank you!
Eczema Awareness Month is coming to a close. Dry Winter weather is approaching. Flu season, not to mention another unsettling virus, is making headlines all around us. Perfect time to lecture you all about hand soap. While we all love a good fluffy suds, it’s not necessary. In fact, it is indicative that your soap is too highly concentrated. As soap guru and planet advocate Dr. Bronner liked to say “Dilute, Dilute, Dilute!”. An intelligent chemist, he created a concentrated castile soap with a multitude of uses. Its all in the dilution ration used. Knowing the drying properties of foaming soaps and paying attention to Dr. Bronner’s creed, Caroline has always diluted her liquid hand soap. While it is so important to wash our hands, we usually do so hastily. Failing to completely rinse the soap and properly dry we create the perfect storm for Contact Dermatitis and Eczema on our hands.
How to Dilute your liquid hand soap:
1. Purchase or reuse a clean, empty container w/pump designed for liquid soaps.
2. Use a 1:3 ratio of water to soap. Fill your empty container about 3/4 full w/ your choice of liquid hand soap. We prefer Dr. Bronner’s liquid castille. Eczema sufferers should use the Baby variation.
3. Fill remaining 1/4 w/tap or distilled water.
4. Close container and invert gently, back and forth for about 1 minute to mix.
5. Store undiluted soap in cool, dry spot.
How to properly wash your hands:
1. It is time, not chemicals that kill. No mater what anti-bacterial soap you use, it is the act of washing that kills bacteria and viruses. This means you should massage hands for at least a complete 30 seconds every time you wash. Sing the “Birthday Song” in your head, its about 30 seconds long.
2. Rinse completely. Be sure to spread fingers and rinse away all the suds.
3. Pat dry. Again, take the time. Pat dry the skin between fingers and under rings completely.
4. When possible, follow w/ a protective hand cream. We love Weleda’s Skin Food or White Mallow Body Cream.